Thursday, November 9, 2006

The Ring


I don't want to get sappy on my second post but something happened to me today that I wanted to share. Now, I have this side of me that believes in the whole Gaurdian Angel stuff and that your dreams can help you in life... no seriously.

So, my junior year of college. I had transfered to my last school in Connecticut. My aunt had just passed away. I felt so bad for my uncle, but we all knew that it was coming. I went home about 30 minutes down the road, and spent a few days with my family. I decided to wear Grandpa Jims pinky ring to the wake and funeral. Grandpa Jim was my grandmothers Second husband. He was a very succesfull business man and had this diamond and gold pinky ring he would always wear.
He loved me and I always wanted to have something that was his. The ring was it once I got older. Sitting in the funeral home my grandmother noticed it. We talked about my grandfather and about a lot of stuff that day, and in the coming year I had no idea I would be sitting in the same room at my grandmothers wake, without the ring.

Somewhere in the confusion of the funeral and going back up to school, I lost the ring. My stomach was in knots for months not knowing where the ring was. I had to make up excuses as to why I did not have the ring.

FLASH TO LAST NIGHT.

I had a dream that I was with my grandmother. She gave me the ring. Smiled and then I woke up. Nothing big. But I remembered what the ring looked like and kept thinking about it on my way to work. On the subway I brought out my notepad and wrote about what I think happened to the ring, what the dream meant and started writing a story about the ring.

I get to work, and it's a somewhat busy day. I am doing a lot of stuff and I finnally get a chance to sit back and kind of think about the day, relax and go on. This chick I work with Laura asks if I want to take a trip down to the vending machines and grab some junk food before the catering gets delivered. I go to my bag, to the front inside pocket where I keep my loose change and feel something bulky. I pull out the change, and there, at the bottome is THE FUCKING RING! 3 years have gone by without the ring and there, at work, at 4:27am is the ring I had dreamt about 10 hours earlier. AMAZING.

I have been thinking about the ring all day. It's in a safe place now. I want to get it altered into a regular sized ring for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found the ring! Precious items like that, that can't be replaced are definitely scary to lose, especially since the ring has such a great importance and significance.

    Checking out your blog thanks to your friend at "A Gay Athlete's Life" for mentioning your site! :)

    fI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through "A Gay Athelete's Life". I hope you update more than him. LOL.

    Anyway, cool story. Glad you found teh ring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a blessing...grandma had a hand in all of that. i'm glad for you. also found your blog thru gayathlete...welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete