Monday, June 9, 2008

Recently

So, I forgot to mention the promotion in the last post. So, I have been notified of a "promotion" of sorts that will make me a little more money and some management experience. My manager told me that he wanted to reward me for all my hard work.

Starting in August, I will be working an 8am-5pm shift everyday on one of our new shows. It was awesome hearing that from my manager and to finally be recognized as doing a good job and off a "night" shift.

This will be my first real day side regular gig... for now. I'm happy and excited.

Tonight, I got together with "the guy" for some food. I really wanted to get to know him and give him another shot at not being weird and getting to know him other than making out at his apartment.

Today I was shopping for fathers day gift and he called me. I said that we should meet up and talk, he suggested food and I picked the place. He was a half hour late and I had been talking with my friend Erik earlier about how I needed to slow things down with him.

Looking back on everything that had happened and how quick it had come was crazy to me.

He showed up a half hour late, without calling or texting till he was 15 minutes late and blamed it on his little brother having his wallet and that he doesn't have money to pay for dinner.

We sat and talked about a whole bunch of stuff, trying to get to know each other better and it was a really nice dinner conversation.

As we walked out of the bar he brought up a guy he was recently seeing whose name was ironically Rusty. As we talked in the parking lot he suggested we head down to the beach to talk... and we did.

I brought up to him that I wanted to slow things down and get to know him better and see what develops. He appreciated that i brought it up to him and I think it's going well now that I got that off my chest.

We'll see how it goes with him.

I have talked the situation over with a few friends... most have said that I should just stop talking to him all together. I am way too nice of a guy for that.

My friend Brendan said something that made me ponder. Paraphrased- "For some reason guys are morons and they don't see what is right in front of them. You finally find a guy that likes you and right off the bat he tells you everything you want to hear and you like that. Be careful."

He was also happy that I slowed everything down. We'll see how everything pans out over the next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Brendan is right. It takes time to get to know someone. There are no deadlines and there's time enough, so use it don't rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JP,
    Folks tell me that 90% of the time a new person (date) will tell you what you need to know in the first 10 minutes of a conversation if you listen and interpret what they mean. I find it to be true - you have to listen for clues and signals to what the person is really saying and what they are looking for.

    In this case, Rusty is still definitely in the picture somewhere.

    Take things slow and if worse comes to worse, bow out gracefully and don't burn any bridges. You two can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, take it slow. I've told you this myself. The fact that he was late seems suspect as well. He should respect you enough to be on time or call sooner if he's late.

    Just always keep the ball in your court and be ready to jump ship if need be. He's the lucky one to have you and he needs to remember that.

    ReplyDelete